|Photo by Bruce Barone.|
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed and divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 6 whole pitted dates, quartered
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Lemon wedges (optional)(I used them over chicken and rice; yum!~)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan, and sauté 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add onion, 1/8 teaspoon saffron, and garlic to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in reserved chicken, tomato juice, and dates; cover. Reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes. Uncover; cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon saffron, 2 cups water, and rice in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Serve the chicken mixture over rice mixture. Garnish with sliced green onions and lemon wedges, if desired.