The recipe called for chicken, which I did have, but I left it out of this as I wanted to save the chicken for chicken salad. I also added some herbs from my garden: Oregano, Cilantro, and Basil.
- 6 ounces uncooked large or regular elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat.)
- 3 cups prechopped broccoli florets (I used fresh.)
- 3 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson) (I used homemade.)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add broccoli to pan during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- 3. While pasta cooks, place bacon in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with turmeric; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- 4. Combine remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, milk, stock, and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pasta mixture and 2 ounces cheese; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 3 ounces cheese and bacon. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and just begins to brown.