Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chicken Soup with Butternut Squash & Mushrooms & Bulgur

I must share this with you! This was one of the greatest soups I have ever made--tasted! And the amazing thing to keep in mind is this: half of this recipe was from leftovers! Let me explain.

The night before I made this soup I roasted a chicken (This was a lemon, garlic, apple juice variation). It, too, was delicious. I then made stock from the chicken carcass, which I simmered during the evening and again for hours before making the soup. OH! The Butternut Squash was mashed and leftover, too; we made this with lots of butter and Five Spice. And it goes without saying that the Bulgur was leftover, too; we had this with the roast chicken (It had celery, red and green pepper, and golden raisins in it.).

So, I added some olive oil to a saucepan. Then I added 1 stalk celery, finely chopped; 1/2 Vidalia Onion, chopped; 1/2 red pepper, chopped--and cooked for about 10 minutes. Then I added 2 cups mushrooms, stemmed, halved and sliced--and cooked for about 5 minutes, gently. I then added 2 cups of my chicken stock and 1 cup of the mashed butternut squash and stirred until the squash was absorbed. A few minutes before serving, I added 2 cups chopped chicken, 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped tarragon and 1 cup of the cooked Bulgur.

Serves Two.



I photograph people and nature for a living.
My mission is to connect with people, inspire people, and build community. 
 
How can I help and inspire you?

No comments:

Post a Comment