|Sweet Pea Crostini. Photo by Bruce Barone.|
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- For the Sweet Peas: Warm the chicken broth and red pepper flakes in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until the broth boils. Add the frozen peas and cook until the peas are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the peas in a mesh sieve. Place the peas in a food processor with the mint, salt, and pepper. Puree the pea mixture. Place the pea puree in a medium bowl and refrigerate until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the crostini: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the baguette slices on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in the oven until toasted and golden around the edges, about 10 minutes. While the crostini are still warm, drizzle the tops with extra-virgin olive oil. Using a whole clove of garlic in your fingertips, rub the top of the crostini a few times to give a hint of garlic.
- To finish, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the pea puree. Top each of the crostini with about 1 tablespoon of pea puree. Sprinkle with a bit of the diced prosciutto. Serve immediately.