Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tomato Times Two

I love going out into my garden in the morning and picking the ripe tomatoes. It is, I believe, and I hope you do, too, one the great pleasures of summer.
And is there anything better than fresh tomato sauce? There might be, of course, but I can't think of anything better right now. In fact, fresh tomato sauce is so sinfully delicious, so sensually delightful, so, so, yes, poetic, that I made it twice this week.

The basic recipe follows, which I based upon a recipe from a wonderful cookbook: Italian Food Artisans, Traditions and Recipes by Pamela Sheldon Johns. Feel free to add more or less garlic. Add a tablespoon of capers. Don't be bashful. Be inspired! Be creative in your kitchen!

Ingredients

1/2 pound pasta (I cooked Bow Tie pasta)
3-5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and roughly diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup pitted and roughly chopped Mediterranean style oil-cured black olives
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Big pinch of hot red pepper flakes
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, stir well, and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes.
2. While the pasta is cooking, combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil, parsley, olives, pepper flakes, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Drain the pasta and add to the bowl. Toss well. Serve with the cheese at once.


Do you have a favorite pasta recipe? Tell me about it, please.

If you would like to fill your home with beautiful photographs, or need a portrait, a wedding photographed or if you are an interior designer and need photographs of your projects, contact me for a consultation.

Drawing on that degree in Art History, a passion for telling stories, and years working as a portrait and documentary photographer (And owning an Art Gallery) helps me bring a heightened sensitivity to my photography. Let's make the world a more beautiful place! Buon Appetito!

1 comment: